The current spotlight is on the Orange High School Auditorium as much needed major renovations are underway at the facility, which first opened its doors in 1958. Permanent Improvement funds are being used for this project and are a part of the Orange School District's FutureVision Master Campus Plan
. It is scheduled to reopen in December 2015.
The auditorium has hosted hundreds of events over those 57 years! It has entertained, educated, and informed through Orange High School and Brady Middle School Orchestra, Band, and Choir concerts along with OHS Thespian and StageCrafters productions, talent shows, school presentations, assemblies, community outreach, and many other events. It even has the distinction of being the location of the last concert given by music legend drummer Buddy Rich and his Orchestra.
The renovations will include but are not limited to the following:
- Removal of the outdated plaster ceiling and installation of acoustically reflective suspended bowed ceiling panels.
- Installation of a permanent stage extension to replace the current temporary moveable extension.
- Replacement of all auditorium fixed seating, including removable seats to provide compliant ADA wheelchair spaces.
- A new lighting/sound control booth.
- Installation of new finishes, including wood paneling, acoustic fabric panels, carpeting and epoxy floor.
- Renovation of the fly system and lighting battens.
- Installation of a new access catwalk.
- Replacement entrance doors and adjacent wood paneling.
- Addition of a green room/student lounge.
- Renovation of the existing dressing rooms, including the addition of a production work room.