Message from the OHS PTA President- Lori Spencer
It’s my pleasure to welcome you to the 2017-18 school year at OHS. I’m also proud to be President this year of the OHS PTA. With close to 100 members, including dedicated Board and committee members, the OHS PTA strives to fulfill its mission of serving the students and staff of OHS every year. Our goal is to be a resource for district families, an advocate for all students, promoting education and the well-being of all in our school. I encourage all parents and staff to become members of the PTA for a minimum contribution of only $15.
There are many important activities that the OHS PTA is responsible for including:
- OHS After Prom- organized and managed by the OHS PTA in order to provide students a safe and fun place to go to continue celebrating on prom night
- The Reflections Program- a PTA sponsored display and judging of students’ art. This year’s theme is “Within Reach”. We encourage all that are interested to get their entries in the week of Oct 16th to the Guidance Office.
- OHS PTA manages the indoor concession stand for many of the high school athletic events in order to earn support primarily for the 9th and 10th grade classes.
- Compilation and distribution of the districtwide directory known as the Lion’s Roar
- Programming important to our students is developed and delivered by the PTA’s combined Health and Safety committee. It has included presentations on the opioid epidemic, internet safety, safe driving, self-defense classes and much more over the last couple years.
- Senior Project- PTA members work with the 12th grade staff to ensure the senior project program is successful and meaningful for the graduating students.
In addition to these major initiatives that the PTA undertakes, we support the school by providing hospitality at numerous events throughout the year, award classroom grants to individual or groups of teachers, provide a scholarship to a deserving senior and teacher educational scholarships to assist in upgrading teaching techniques and thus expanding their support of students and provide clubs with seed money to assist them in activities during the year.
In all the OHS PTA spends about $38,000 each year to support our students and staff. There are a few ways YOU can help us financially. Sign up with Heinen’s or Giant Eagleto have your purchases go to support the OHS PTA. It’s easy, go to customer service and have them register your customer loyalty card with us. We have combined Orange Spiritwear this year with the Orange Elementary PTA. The district-wide website iswww.orangelionlocker.com . Any purchases you make will be delivered to the high school. You will also see us at football games and other main events throughout the year.
Finally, more important than fundraising, is the participation of parents in supporting the school in various volunteer opportunities. Please logon and fill out the volunteer form in this newsletter. You do not have to be a PTA member and many of the opportunities to serve take just a small amount of time, but are so rewarding. Become part of our network and help us continue to make Orange High School a leader and a great place to learn.