Congratulations to the BMS Youth in Government Team which excelled at the Ohio Conference in Columbus last week! Fifty students participated in the three-day conference with 240 sixth thru eighth grade students from all around Ohio. 19 of the the students' 24 bills passed through committee and made it to the House or Senate floor. Due to time constraints, 10 of those were heard on the floor and seven were passed.
Four bills were signed into law, including Piper Coker's, Caroline Davies' and Katherine Hamilton's bill: "A sexual harassment complaint filed on a student in middle school or high school will be on the student's high school transcript;" Jordan Bloom's and Lainey Dubyak's bill: "To Ban Flip-Flops While Driving;" Tira Heiss' and Emma Snyder-Lovera's bill: "Free resources for people with hidden disabilities (Anxiety, OCD, Schizophrenia, Depression, Autism, etc.) that do not qualify for Medicaid, but still can not afford the resources they need," and Leah Heasley's bill: "To replace plastic based bags with corn-based bags."
Congratulations also to Sabrina Fellinger who won the Lieutenant Governor position for next year's Conference and to Piper Coker, Lainey Dubyak and Rose Martyn who were chosen as Vice Chairs for their respective committees. This was the largest delegation for Brady Middle School since the program began.
Here is a list of all of BMS students' bills:
Passed committee, House/Senate floor, & signed into law:
- Jordan Bloom, Lainey Dubyak: "To ban flip-flops while driving"
- Piper Coker, Caroline Davies, Katherine Hamilton: "A sexual harassment complaint filed on a student in middle school and or high school will be on the student's high school transcript"
- Tira Heiss, Emma Snyder-Lovera: "Free resources for people with hidden disabilities (Anxiety, OCD, Schizophrenia, Depression, Autism, etc.) that do not qualify for Medicaid, but still can not afford the resources they need"
- Leah Heasley: "To replace plastic based bags with corn-based bags"
Passed committee & House/Senate floor
- Emma Berlin, Samantha Bernon: "All restaurants are required to have epipens on the premises"
- Chloe Haddon, Peyton Weiss: "All schools must have a bullying protocol"
- Audrey Castle, Jessica Levy, Iris Miller: "All schools should have equal funding for girls and boys sports"
Passed committee, but not heard on House/Senate floor (due to time)
- Basma Alahaddad, Gabe Schectman: "Have companies pay for carbon emissions"
- Maxx Abramson, Jake Goldstein: "Require motorcycle drivers to wear a helmet"
- Kenaz Bouali, Aidan Stearns: "Lower costs for epi-pens for people with severe allergies"
- Briant Gent, Krish Mehra, Truman Williams: "Every dog must have an identification chip implanted when vaccinated"
- Laura Wei, Anna Wolf: "No use of non-domesticated animals in performances that require paid admission"
- Margot Kakou: "Illegal to transport horses in pot trucks"
- Natalie Norcia, Annie Oflein: "If you are convicted of abusing your animal, you can no longer own another"
- Daniel Roberts: "If the wind chill is -15, public schools must close"
- Elliot Becker, Brennan O'Neil: "You have to bring your own bags to grocery stores"
- Halina Michener, Elena Rodenborn: "Service dogs should be allowed to travel sitting next to their owner on planes"
- Sydney Golovan, Sammy Rivchun, Sophia Stepanyan: "All drivers with a valid state license must be CPR certified"
- Chad Bernon, Jordan Trostler: "Nobody in Ohio can own semi-automatic weapons"
Presented in committee
- Anna Leitson, Rose Martyn: "Reduce the unnecessary amount of time students spend out of school due to lice"
- John Boyle, Noah Bromberg: "Raise minimum wage to $12/hour"
- Sabrina Fellinger, Sarah Friedlander: "Bars have to give breathalyzer tests before someone leaves the place of business"
- Andrew Leonard, Sam Russo, Carson Siegel: "Every public building/private business must have handicap ramps and elevators"
- Piper Anderson, Allie Yuan: "Free daycare for single parent guardians who make $15 and under"
Congratulations to all of our BMS Delegates!!!