Mission: To authentically engage students in a positive, supportive, nurturing, and safe environment in order to develop critical-thinking and civic-minded citizens who will contribute to the local community and our global society. To promote safety, respect, responsibility and engagement among students in order to protect the physical, verbal and emotional safety of all and improve student outcomes/achievement.
Philosophy and Beliefs:
- All students have unique and individual personal potential and are capable of achieving their potential if given appropriate opportunities.
- All students are entitled to be treated with dignity and respect.
- All students have a right to a safe, nurturing and encouraging learning environment which supports and enhances student achievement.
- All students need a variety of experiences to develop intellectually, personally, socially and physically.
- All students should have a strong foundation of coping skills to deal with issues and problems they will face in the future.
- All students have the right to be served by a professional school counselor through a developmentally appropriate and comprehensive school counseling curriculum.
Comprehensive School Counseling Program: The MHS School Counseling Department follows the American School Counseling Association Model to create a comprehensive supportive learning curriculum for all students.
Classroom Guidance Curriculum focuses on the following three domains: academic, career and social/emotional development through weekly (K-2) and biweekly (3-5) Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) lessons.